We want to welcome you to Austria!
We are very happy that you chose our country as the destination for an unforgettable internship with IAESTE. We hope that apart from a valuable working experience, you will also have a lot of fun with wonderful people in new, exciting surroundings. Before we start our adventures together, we would like to offer you a few facts and information that might help make your arrival and stay in Austria more pleasant and stress-free.
The responsible incoming coordinator of your Local Committee should already have contacted you about your stay. But just in case you don’t get any notification until 1 week before your internship starts, contact the corresponding Local Commitee by yourself and tell them where and how you will arrive in Austria. To be on the safe side, you should not forget to take the address of the hostel and the mobile phone number of your local summer reception officer with you!
It depends on your offer which Local Committee is responsible for you. Check your offer ID (Reference Number). The letters in the end of your ID describes the local committee. E.g. AT-2017-10xxBO is an offer from IAESTE BOKU.
Boku (BO) Graz (GR) Linz (LZ) Leoben (LE) Innsbruck (IB) Salzburg (SB) Vienna (VI)
Mandatory things to bring with you
- Passport valid for at least the whole term of your internship. Pleas also visit the website of the Austrian embassy of your country for more information, especially if you are not a citizen of the European Union.
- Visa, if necessary, start your visa application process as soon as possible. This often takes more than 2 months
- Address of your accomodation/student house
- Access to about 750 – 1.000,- EUR to cover the cost of living and lodging for the first month. You will receive your first salary in the end of the first calender month.
Things you should have with you
- Appropriate clothing for work and spare time. The dress code at work will be casual for most students (including students working at the University or one of its institutes). It can be hot (mostly) and/or rainly (sometimes) during summer time and cold/freezing during winter time.
- unlocked cell phone
- LAN-cable for internet access in your room (some dormitories do not provide WiFi access-points)
- Linen (can also be bought)
- International Student ID card, ISIC (International Student Identity Card). This can save you some funds
- Adapter to use your electronic devices with Austrian electrical sockets
- Credit card
IAESTE Austria offers a wide range of activities for you. Every weekend during the summer specially organized events will take place in and around Austria. We will also help you get in touch with other trainees so that you can organize your own trips together.